STATLAB RULES AND POLICIES
Computing facilities are for the exclusive use of the Yale community. Users must present a valid Yale ID upon request of a Statlab Consultant, other staff member, or other Yale authority.
The purpose of the StatLab and Yale Network resources is to support research, education and Yale activities; do not violate their intended use.
The use of computers is prioritized as follows:
- Statistical applications requiring the use of software on the Statlab machines that is not found on other cluster machines on campus.
- Personal productivity work, including word processing
- Recreational computing is not appropriate in the StatLab classrooms.
- The priorities listed above are intended as guidelines, as always be considerate of other users.
Examples of inappropriate activity include:
- Allowing others to use your account, including sharing your password
- Impersonating another user
- Attempting to crack passwords
- Destroying data or programs
- Using network resources for financial gain
You are responsible for the use of your account, and if it is used in an improper manner, you will be held responsible. For further information about appropriate use, see the ITS Appropriate Use Policy.
Upon completion of any work, users must log off the machine to safeguard his/her account. Failure to do so may result in loss of data, or misuse of network resources. Programs may be run overnight by signing up before closing time and ending sessions witihin one hour of opening on the next day we are open. No single user can take over more than 3 machines at one time.
Do not eat or drink in any Statlab Computing Facility. Do not disturb other users of the facility.
Statlab facilities may be reserved for use by specific classes at specific times. While a class is in session, instructors have the right to prohibit others from using the faciliity. At other times, the Classroom is available as a public computer cluster.
Abuse of staff, hardware or other users will not be tolerated.
Do not move equipment, or turn off any computer. Do not connect any external devices to the computers.
The StatLab phones are not for public use.
Use headphones for audio output.
You must respect intellectual property rights and copyright laws when using Yale computing facilities. For further questions, please refer to the Appropriate Use Policy. (http://www.yale.edu/policy/itaup.html)